The American College of Pediatricians recently released a statement on gender ideology, in which it outlines eight reasons that teaching it to young kids is destructive and harmful to their health.
The public statement urges educators and legislators to reject any calls from groups to incorporate gender ideology into school curricula. “Facts – not ideology – determine reality,” the statement reads.
[Read Related Article: This School Teaches Kindergartners About Gender Ideology]
Here are the eight reasons they give that teaching gender ideology to kids should be rejected:
- Human sexuality is an objective biological binary trait: “XY” and “XX” are genetic markers of health – not genetic markers of a disorder.
- No one is born with a gender. Everyone is born with a biological sex. Gender (an awareness and sense of oneself as male or female) is a sociological and psychological concept; not an objective biological one.
- A person’s belief that he or she is something they are not is, at best, a sign of confused thinking.
- Puberty is not a disease and puberty-blocking hormones can be dangerous.
- According to the DSM-V, as many as 98% of gender confused boys and 88% of gender confused girls eventually accept their biological sex after naturally passing through puberty.
- Children who use puberty blockers to impersonate the opposite sex will require cross-sex hormones in late adolescence. Cross-sex hormones are associated with dangerous health risks including but not limited to high blood pressure, blood clots, stroke and cancer.
- Rates of suicide are twenty times greater among adults who use cross-sex hormones and undergo sex reassignment surgery, even in Sweden, which is among the most LGBQT–affirming countries.
- Conditioning children into believing a lifetime of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex is normal and healthful is child abuse.
The statement acknowledged the existence of disorders of sexual differentiation (DSDs), where the sex of the child is ambiguous at birth because of anomalies such as testicular feminization or adrenal hyperplasia, but pointed out that those cases are extremely rare and do not present a “third sex.” They are “disorders of the human design.” The “self-evident” purpose of male and female, according to the statement, is “reproduction and the flourishing of our species.”
In addition, those who “identify” as either a member of the opposite sex or “somewhere in the middle” – or a little of both – are not actually a “third sex.” The report contends that they are all either “biological men or biological women,” plain and simple.
[Read Related Article: Man Cites Gender Identity Law to Undress in Front of Girls]