In an exclusive statement to the journalists at Axios, former Trump employee Steve Bannon, attempted to get back in favor with his old boss.
Bannon focused on his belief that the president was the man to lead us out of the Obama morass and to defeat Hillary Clinton. He also made it clear that he should have more quickly explained that he supports Donald Trump, Jr. and that he believes the President’s son is a good man who loves his family and his country.
However, reading through his statement also made us realize that his “apology” wasn’t so much an apology as it was an explanation and an effort to wriggle out of the noose he has found himself in.
- “Donald Trump, Jr. is both a patriot and a good man. He has been relentless in his advocacy for his father and the agenda that has helped turn our country around.”
- “My support is also unwavering for the president and his agenda — as I have shown daily in my national radio broadcasts, on the pages of Breitbart News and in speeches and appearances from Tokyo and Hong Kong to Arizona and Alabama.”
- “President Trump was the only candidate that could have taken on and defeated the Clinton apparatus. I am the only person to date to conduct a global effort to preach the message of Trump and Trumpism; and remain ready to stand in the breech for this president’s efforts to make America great again.”
- “My comments about the meeting with Russian nationals came from my life experiences as a Naval officer stationed aboard a destroyer whose main mission was to hunt Soviet submarines to my time at the Pentagon during the Reagan years when our focus was the defeat of ‘the evil empire’ and to making films about Reagan’s war against the Soviets and Hillary Clinton’s involvement in selling uranium to them.”
- “My comments were aimed at Paul Manafort, a seasoned campaign professional with experience and knowledge of how the Russians operate. He should have known they are duplicitous, cunning and not our friends. To reiterate, those comments were not aimed at Don Jr.”
- “Everything I have to say about the ridiculous nature of the Russian ‘collusion’ investigation I said on my 60 Minutes interview. There was no collusion and the investigation is a witch hunt.”
- “I regret that my delay in responding to the inaccurate reporting regarding Don Jr has diverted attention from the president’s historical accomplishments in the first year of his presidency.”
The President has spent much of the last week telling mutual friends and allies that they’d need to choose between he and Bannon, perhaps this was Bannon’s attempt to smooth the waters and prove that there was no need to choose between the two men?
There is still some doubt as to whether this move will appease the Trump team, but it’s a start and it’s a better place for Bannon to be than where he was last week.