Friday evening, a restaurant in Bangladesh was raided and hostages were taken. Many hours later, the siege ended, and multiple hostages were rescued.
Here’s what we know:
- At 9:20 pm. local, several radical [omitted] militants stormed the Holey Artisan Bakery in Bangladesh, and proceeded to take hostages.
- A cook from the restaurant, Sumon Reza, who was able to escape from the rooftop, said the gunmen entered the building shouting [omitted]. Another witness claims to have heard the same thing.
- SITE intelligence group says [omitted] claimed responsibility for the attack, although the claims have yet to be verified.
- According to the BBC, this attack follows in the footsteps of the over 40 attacks on “secular bloggers, academics, gay rights activists and members of religious minorities” in Bangladesh since the beginning of 2013. Many of the attacks have been claimed by [omitted] and [omitted].
- According to CNN, several of the [omitted] militants tossed bombs at police officers, and two officers were killed when [omitted] fired at them.
- Amaq news agency, which is affiliated with [omitted], claims 24 hostages were killed.
- The number reported by the [omitted]-affiliated news agency has been challenged by the Bangladeshi government, who say the [omitted] radicals killed 20 hostages–though the number could rise.
- CNN spoke with Detective Police Deputy Commissioner Sheikh Nazmul Alam, who said at least 40 were injured by the [omitted].
- The Bangladeshi government has repeatedly denied claims that [omitted] has any presence in their country, but this latest attack may force them to admit that [omitted] truly is a threat in the region.
This incident may bring back fresh memories of the Orlando shooting that occurred just two weeks ago, in which Omar Mateen shot and killed 49 Americans, shouting “[omitted].” Mateen called 911 during the attack and said “I pledge allegiance to [omitted]. May [omitted] protect him on behalf of the [omitted].”
We may never know the motive of these killers, as there is absolutely no evidence pointing toward their objective.