Dueling pieces in the New York Post and the Washington Post unmask the Obama legacy perfectly. The simple fact of the matter is that based on any rational, objective standard, the Obama era has been a complete and utter failure. The President’s list of “accomplishments” grows smaller every day, while the list of his scandals, lies, and disappointments continues to grow ever longer.
At the New York Post Kyle Smith writes;
Those supporters, and others, must have noticed that “for most of Obama’s term, wage gains were largely confined to the rich.” Or that “The administration’s planning in Libya clearly failed” or “It is certain that the actual outcome [of Obama’s Syria policy] was disastrous.”
Even many of President Obama’s proudest achievements look about as enduring as April snow…
Indeed, Barack Obama’s most enduring legacy may be that under his tenure our nation experienced more rending division than any other era since the Civil War. Race relations, which seemed to be improving comfortably in 2008 when he was first elected, are now sadly strained and as bad as they’ve been at any point since the end of the Civil Rights era. Economically speaking, the Obama era has been the most futile in American history. Barack Obama is the first President to never experience a quarter of more than 3% growth. In terms of foreign policy, America has been at war every day of his presidency and radical Islam has expanded to its largest extent since the Middle Ages. Our enemies no longer fear us (Hello, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, China, and Russia), our allies no longer trust us (Sorry about that Israel, Taiwan, Philippines, Poland, and Iraq), and our leaders have become a laughingstock.
The one thing Barack Obama has been good at over the years? Lying to Americans.
Over at the Washington Post, fact checker (and no conservative) Glenn Kessler just recapped the 10 biggest Obama whoppers, and the list is damning.
- “More young black men languish in prison than attend colleges and universities across America”
- “We signed into law the biggest middle-class tax cut in history”
- “90 percent of the budget deficit is due to George W. Bush’s policies”
- “If you like your health-care plan, you can keep it”
- “The Capitol Hill janitors just got a pay cut”
- “The day after Benghazi happened, I acknowledged that this was an act of terrorism”
- “I didn’t call the Islamic State a ‘JV’ team”
- “Republicans have filibustered 500 pieces of legislation”
- “The Keystone pipeline is for oil that bypasses the United States”
- “We have fired a whole bunch of people who are in charge of these [VA] facilities”
Sadly, these 10 lies are just the tip of the Obama falsehood iceberg. The two constants of the Obama era has been the president’s willingness to lie to the American people, and the media’s willingness to allow the president’s lies to slide by uncondemned. The Obama years have been nothing more than a series of thinly veiled (and sometimes blatantly naked) lies, uttered to placate the citizens of the United States while the federal government ballooned beyond meaningful control. Barack Obama’s legacy is one of unadulterated hubris, his efforts all focused on rending power from the people and handing it to bureaucrats, and America is fortunate to have survived this historically catastrophic presidency.