The Democrats keep insisting the Republicans have no Obamacare alternatives. That’s not true since 2009 the GOP has presented at least nine different replacement options, the most recent was presented this past July.
The truth is while the Democrats were working on the bill that would be come Obamacare, Republicans were offering their version of healthcare reform. Not one of the GOP results were considered by the President or the Democratic majority in either house.
Three of the alternate bills were offered in the spring summer of 2009:
- In May, Republicans in the House and the Senate formed a bicameral coalition to produce the 130-page “Patients Choice Act of 2009.”
- In June, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) introduced the “Health Care Freedom Plan.”
- In July, the Republican Study Committee, under the leadership of Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.) who is himself a physician, unveiled the “Empowering Patients First Act.”
Trending: 20 Trump Triumphs the Media Ignored!
Rep. Price reintroduced his health care bill each for 3 straight Congresses. A 2013 analysis of of the bill promised:
- It would save taxpayers $2.34 trillion over 10 years
- It would slow the rate of premium increases more than Obamacare
- It would increase the number of insured Americans (by almost as much as Obamacare, WITHOUT an individual mandate tax)
A few months ago Price testified before Congress and explained his plan…