Sen. [score]Bernie Sanders[/score] seems to some young people like such a kind old guy, and his brand of democratic socialism sounds like it’s “fair” and “nice,” not to mention “democratic” and a bunch of other comfortable, warm and fuzzy words.
To people who know history and are familiar with how socialism and all its “flavors” — nazism, communism, fascism, etc. — have actually worked in the real world, Sanders is not to be trusted.
Socialism, whether it’s called democratic or anything else, is about other people telling you what you can and can’t do in your own life. It really only appeals to people whose mental and moral development has been arrested at the stage where they want a governmental mommy and daddy to take care of everything.
Trending: Science is Settled
Correspondingly, Sanders is amassing a list of things he would seek to ban should he win the presidency. Here are five:
- Cigarettes. Sanders hasn’t flat-out said this one, but he strongly implied it on “Meet the Press.” Sanders, who has outright said he would lift the federal ban on marijuana (one suspects he imbibes), was asked about New York’s soda tax, which he opposes, then about cigarette taxes. He said: “But cigarettes are causing cancer, obviously, and a dozen other diseases. And there is almost the question as to why it remains a legal product in this country.”
- Abortion restrictions. Sanders has promised to use the Department of Justice to “go after” states that pass any pro-life laws. As he put it during an MSNBC town hall, “I think we should expand funding for Planned Parenthood. And it is no secret, that in states all over this country, in a dozen different ways, there are governors and legislatures who are trying to make it impossible for a woman to control her own body. I will use the Department of Justice to go after those states, in every way that I legally can.” Makes you wonder how long it will take to go after pro-life groups and individuals. Can you say enemies list? As usual with abortion fanatics, there’s no mention of the rights of the unborn human beings who don’t get a choice in abortion.
- Free speech. Liberals despise the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision that prevented the government from restricting expenditures by organizations in elections. It’s not because liberals don’t like money in politics, but because the decision has given many grass-roots conservative groups a say in elections and generally allowed the spending of money outside the control of the establishment. Sanders has previously proposed the Saving American Democracy Amendment to overturn the decision. Independent expenditures mean independent thinking on issues the establishment doesn’t want brought up. Remember, socialism is all about control, and Sanders hopes to pack the Supreme Court to reign in political free speech. He said, “I will appoint — or nominate people to the Supreme Court who number one, are prepared to overturn Citizens United, a disastrous Supreme Court decision.”
- Energy independence. Liberals hate the idea of the United States developing its own natural resources. They’ll tell you it’s because the planet is in danger of exploding like Krypton or something, but it’s really because liberals have a giant stick up their butts that drives them to want to keep everybody else under their thumbs. Sanders is no different, and he has said that he plans to ban fracking and new oil leases on government-controlled lands (which have been growing by leaps and bounds) “forever.” So how will we power our cars? Try googling “Flintstones” for an idea.
- Assault weapons. Why? Because if he just said “ban violence,” even some of Sanders’ brain-dead followers might figure out what a stupid, hypocritical idea this is. Like all other liberal gun controllers, Sanders’ concept is to remove guns from the hands of law-abiding citizens in order to stop criminals. To facilitate this power grab, he’s falling back on the tried and true notion of “assault weapons,” a made up category of gun that has a floating definition that really translates as “any gun liberals think is scary looking” and that will win votes. His own website calls his home state, Vermont, the most gun-friendly state in the country, that “boasts the absolute lowest rate of gun-related crime.” Hello? Anybody home? Think, McFly, think.
And all the above is just for starters. Feel the Bern, indeed.