Bill Nye “the silence guy” (because he would like to silence everyone who disagrees with him by putting them in jail) said on Tucker Carlson’s show that the science is settled regarding “climate change.” That’s true … but not in the way he’s thinking.
(The following is taken from my book The Plague Of Liberalism – which was written in 2008, hence the dates in it. www.ThePlagueOfLiberalism.com)
Global warming (Penny wise and pound foolish …if there even is a penny)
When I researched global warming, I found some interesting things that I never hear in the media.
- The ice that melts in the polar ice caps often refreezes. This includes the biggest melting in Antarctica in the last 30 years, which happened in 2005 and was the size of California, which melted and then refroze. Therefore in coming to an understanding of this “problem”, it would be good to evaluate data over many centuries, not just an isolated year a few years ago, given that nature is often very cyclical.
- The melting ice in the Arctic region is being seen by some as a positive, in that it is creating brand new trade routes for ships by widening the Northwest Passage.
- The melting ice over the Arctic seabed might make more accessible the oil fields that they now cover.
But my overall gut reaction when I first started hearing about the global warming problem was that it is “penny wise and pound foolish” (if there even is a penny). That is, the effects of it (if it is even true as a phenomenon) are so far in the future, while very bad things are going on in the present (like abortion, the breakup of the family, addictions, unpunished crime, rampant depression, homelessness, etc.). So then why aren’t we just concentrating on those things? The reason is: they are issues behind the smoke screen that liberals don’t want people to look behind. Magicians know this trick well. That is, you get people to focus on one thing, and then you do your trick where they aren’t looking.
Since first hearing about it though, I did a study on this problem, and it turned out to be another liberal alarmist smoke screen. Here are some of the facts I found out.
- Like I said earlier, it would be good if a climate investigation over centuries would be known. Well, Science magazine gave the results of such a study that covered the last 3000 years. It showed that we now are under the mean temperature of the last 3000 years. It also showed that the widely fluctuating mean temperature (based on isotope ratios in the skeletons of marine organisms deposited in the Sargasso Sea) hit peaks five degrees higher than now around 900 B.C. and 400 B.C. and 3 degrees higher than around 100 A.D. There were also lows 2 degrees cooler than now around 100 A.D. and 1700 A.D. Since this last one, the temperature has been steadily rising (a scorching J 2 degrees in the last 300 years). An outcome of these calculations is that:
- human activity could not have been the cause of it (as global warming alarmists claim).
- ‘Slightly rising temperatures’ can actually be a good thing when you consider that they cause greater food and animal growth for the starving people of third world countries. (You’d think that liberals would be happy about that?)
- Global warming and cooling fluctuations are tied to solar activity because the same ones happen on Mars. (Another proof that human activity is not the cause).
- More than 17,000 American scientists have signed a petition opposing the Kyoto treaty.
- Proponents of global warming predicted 20 years ago that in the following 20 years from then there would be a warming increase of between 1 and 2 degrees. There’s been none.
- The fear that global warming would cause floods is not justified because at a warming spike in 1000 A.D. there was no major flooding.
Much of the above was reported in The Wall Street Journal, Global Warming Is 300-Year-Old News, January 18, 2000, by Arthur Robinson and Noah Robinson, chemists at the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, with updates from them in the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons (2007) 12. 79-90.
But I think that some even newer data puts this issue to rest. The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has reported that almost all the allegedly “lost” ice has come back. An NOAA report shows that ice levels which had shrunk from 5 million square miles in January 2007 to just 1.5 million square miles in October, are almost back to their original levels. And a Feb.18 report in the London Daily Express showed that there is nearly a third more ice in Antarctica than usual. Also, the photo of the polar bears clinging on to a melting iceberg, that was meant to tug at our hearts and which was offered as proof of the need to fight climate change and has been used by former Vice President Al Gore during his “Inconvenient Truth” lectures about mankind’s alleged impact on the global climate, was taken in August when melting is normal. And actually the polar bear population has soared in recent years. And the winter of 2007-2008 was one of the worst on record in many parts of the Earth, including in China, which saw its worst winter in 50 years and where many died as a result.
All of what is said here is why they had to change it from “global warming” to “climate change” (which also is proven to be a false conclusion by the data here).
The ozone layer is closing up
Another liberal alarmist mantra has been that the hole in the ozone layer has been getting bigger and ozone has increased overall on Earth. This would also fall into the “penny wise” category. But it’s not even a category anymore since a report by NASA scientists in 2006 revealed that the ozone in the Earth is returning to its 1980 level and that the hole in the layer over the Antarctic might be closed in upcoming years for good. They say that they are puzzled why this is happening and the jury is still out, but do attribute some of the cause to (like with global warming) natural fluctuations like sunspots, volcanic activity, and changing wind patterns.