Washington Post Smears President Trump says He Gave Classified Intel to Russia, But Did He?

Earlier today, the Washington Post dropped a BOMBSHELL on the nation when they reported that President Trump had divulged classified information to the Russian government in an inappropriate manner.

Here’s what the Washington Post said happened:

President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said that Trump’s disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.

The information Trump relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.

The partner had not given the United States permission to share the material with Russia, and officials said that Trump’s decision to do so risks cooperation from an ally that has access to the inner workings of the Islamic State. After Trump’s meeting, senior White House officials took steps to contain the damage, placing calls to the CIA and National Security Agency.

Folks, if this was true… it’s big news, and it’s bad news.

IF it were true.

However, it’s starting to seem more and more likely that the WaPo got the story all wrong.

Almost immediately, other insiders began whispering that the WaPo story was off base and that the President had done no such thing in his meeting with the Russians.

Deputy National Security Advisor Dina Powell also quickly denied the story.

“This story is false,” added Deputy National Security Adviser for Strategy Dina Powell, who also attended the meeting last week. “The president only discussed the common threats that both countries faced.”

And then her boss National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson both issued strong denials that this ever occurred. They should know, because they were all in on the meeting.

NSA H.R. McMaster was adamant that the story was completely false.

“The president and the foreign minister reviewed common threats from terrorist organizations to include threats to aviation,” said H.R. McMaster, the national security adviser, who participated in the meeting. “At no time were any intelligence sources or methods discussed and no military operations were disclosed that were not already known publicly.”

Secretary of State Tillerson:

“During President Trump’s meeting with Foreign Minister Lavrov, a broad range of subjects were discussed among which were common efforts and threats regarding counter-terrorism,” Tillerson told reporters at the White House Monday evening. “During that exchange the nature of specific threats were discussed, but they did not discuss sources, methods or military operations.”

National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster attended the meeting and also pushed back against the reports of Trump’s comments to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak.

The mainstream media is arguing that the denials from Tillerson and McMaster are “red herrings’ because the original story never says anything about “sources or methods” but simply argues that the President revealed classified intel. However, if you do read the original reporting it says that the disclosure “jeopardized a critical source of intelligence” which seems to be what the two men are refuting. So, is the national media attempting to create yet another scandal where none exists? It sure sounds like it.

Tags

Onan Coca

Onan is the Editor-in-Chief at Romulus Marketing. He's also the managing editor at Eaglerising.com, Constitution.com and the managing partner at iPatriot.com. Onan is a graduate of Liberty University (2003) and earned his M.Ed. at Western Governors University in 2012. Onan lives in Atlanta with his wife and their three wonderful children. You can find his writing all over the web.

Please leave your comments below

Facebook Comments