VP Pence Rips the New York Times as “Fake News”!

Editorial credit: Evan El-Amin / Shutterstock.com

A few days ago, the New York Times ran a story claiming that Vice President Mike Pence was preparing to assume the role of President.

It was an unflattering story that continues to the media trend of dreaming for a day when President Trump will be deposed.

The article was completely committed to the nefarious idea that the GOP was preparing for the fall of President Trump, and doing so not with trepidation but with glee.

The Times said that they had discussed the possibility of a “GOP shadow campaign for 2020” beginning to take shape and that there were several key players already vying for the White House.

The Times went to Senators John McCain (R-AZ) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) for the obvious underhanded remarks about the President, and then they pointed out that Senators Tom Cotton (R-AR) and Ben Sasse (R-NE) would make good candidates for the White House (something I agree with). Finally, the Times attempted to argue that Vice President Pence was OBVIOUSLY preparing to usurp the President:

Mr. Pence has been the pacesetter. Though it is customary for vice presidents to keep a full political calendar, he has gone a step further, creating an independent power base, cementing his status as Mr. Trump’s heir apparent and promoting himself as the main conduit between the Republican donor class and the administration.

The vice president created his own political fund-raising committee, Great America Committee, shrugging off warnings from some high-profile Republicans that it would create speculation about his intentions. The group, set up with help from Jack Oliver, a former fund-raiser for George W. Bush, has overshadowed Mr. Trump’s own primary outside political group, America First Action, even raising more in disclosed donations.

Mr. Pence also installed Nick Ayers, a sharp-elbowed political operative, as his new chief of staff last month — a striking departure from vice presidents’ long history of elevating a government veteran to be their top staff member.

Now, Vice President Pence has a message for the Times and their brand of “fake news.”

Today’s article in the New York Times is disgraceful and offensive to me, my family, and our entire team. The allegations in this article are categorically false and represent just the latest attempt by the media to divide this Administration. 

Thanks to the President’s leadership, we are rebuilding the military, ISIS is on the run, and we’ve seen more than 1 million jobs created while the stock market hits all-time highs. 

The American people know that I could not be more honored to be working side by side with a president who is making America great again. 

Whatever fake news may come our way, my entire team will continue to focus all our efforts to advance the President’s agenda and see him re-elected in 2020. Any suggestion otherwise is both laughable and absurd.

President Trump was equally offended by the Times’ obvious bias and their fabricated story.

The White House continues to present a united front against the mainstream media.

From the Daily Caller News Foundation:

A New York Times report suggesting that Vice President Mike Pence is planning a run at the White House in 2020 is a “total lie,” according to the vice president’s closest advisers.

“Claims @VP preparing for 2020 run are ridiculous #FakeNews and nothing more than wishful thinking by New York Times,” Pence press secretary Marc Lotter tweeted Saturday. Nick Ayers, the vice president’s recently appointed chief of staff, stated something similar on Twitter shortly afterward.

TheNYT published a “total lie in #fakenews article. Said I’ve ‘signaled to multiple donors @VP wants to be ready for 2020,” Ayers told his Twitter followers, noting also that TheNYT was unable to produce any donors who could corroborate the claim.

Ayers and Lotter were responding directly to a NYT report published Saturday implying that Republicans inside and outside of Washington, D.C. are orchestrating a “shadow” campaign for president in 2020. The report suggested that “multiple advisers to Mr. Pence have already intimated to party donors that he would plan to run if Mr. Trump did not.”

The report was based on information from an anonymous Republican source from inside the Pence camp. An aide to Pence told former Bush administration official Al Hubbard in June that the vice president wanted to be prepare a presidential campaign if Trump couldn’t complete his first term, a Republican who was supposedly briefed on the meeting told the Times.

TheNYT’s report is not the first time Ayers has had to knock down media-generated speculation about a possible Pence campaign.

Politico reported in May, for instance, that the Republican vice president planned a cross-country summer tour amid rising fears that the GOP is headed for a midterm election disaster. The tour was an attempt to draw major donors and power brokers, where talk about 2018 is certain to be front and center.

Politico indicated at the time that Pence’s travels could be construed as an effort to solidify a strong political based for a 2020 run, but Ayers knocked down the suggestion, telling reporters at the time that, “He has an appetite to fight, so he’s going to get out there and fight on the president’s behalf.”

Tags

Onan Coca

Onan is the Editor-in-Chief at Romulus Marketing. He's also the managing editor at Eaglerising.com, Constitution.com and the managing partner at iPatriot.com. Onan is a graduate of Liberty University (2003) and earned his M.Ed. at Western Governors University in 2012. Onan lives in Atlanta with his wife and their three wonderful children. You can find his writing all over the web.

Please leave your comments below