Numerous examples abound of media elitists opining in defense of Islam. Not only do they defend and advocate in favor of Islam, they refer to anyone who discusses what the Qur’an teaches in derogatory terms, most often describing them as “Islamaphobic” and bigoted.
Recently, Salon.com announced that the totalitarian political ideology of Islam provides women equal rights that women in America do not have under the U.S. Constitution.
Vox.com also suggests that most Americans fear Muslims because “overt islamophobia on american tv news is out of control.” Furthermore, any American who suggests “the idea that all 1.6 billion Muslims are somehow responsible for the actions of a handful of extremists whom they abhor, and the implicit call to collectively punish all Muslims in retaliation for a few bad apples” is a bigot.
Yet, neither news aggregator site actually reports the fact that the majority of Islamic controlled countries implement brutal human rights abuses specifically against women and girls.
Defenders of Islam (and Shari’a law) are anti-women and anti-girls. They endorse:
- Female genital mutilation (genitals being cut and sewn shut),
- Honor killings (fathers or brothers kill their daughters/sisters),
- Child marriage (girls under age 12 are married to adult men),
- Slavery (girls are sold for “protection” by their parents and/or kidnapped and sold at slave bazaars),
- Shari’a Councils (Imams marry girls – even for one hour– to men, then divorce them only to marry them to another man and divorce them again),
- Wife abuse and domestic violence (husbands are instructed to beat their wives as a form of punishment); husbands are permitted to rape their wives,
- Non-legal status for women who are considered property (a wife’s legal rights equate to only half of her husband’s),
- Discrimination, punishment, and death for everyone based on sexual and religious orientation, especially if they will not “convert” to Islam.
All of the above violate the basic human rights afforded and protected by the U.S. Constitution. No woman in American can be legally subjected to the above practices.
Those who oppose Islam support policies and laws that protect women and children from violence — exposing the evils of child marriage, slavery, female genital mutilation, honor killings, and institutionalized prostitution and sex trafficking.
The least safe countries for women are Muslim majority countries (2012 World Economic Forum report).
Anyone who claims Islam provides human rights protections for women has not read the Qur’an, or has and is lying.
The Qur’an emphasizes that “men are the maintainers of women,” which is why wife beating is permitted, “indecency laws” are enforced, and fornicators and lesbians must be flogged according to the level of their offense (Surah XXIV).
Surah IV, entitled “Women,” specifies the number of wives men can have; the legal status of women, including widows and orphans; specifically permitted and prohibited sexual practices and with whom; marriage and divorce procedures; specifications and prohibitions regarding inheritance, incest, and family structure.
If this is the equality Salon and Vox.com commentators are referring to? Which woman in their family would they suggest experience Islamic equality first? Their mother? Sister? Daughter? Niece?
If the European Court on Human Rights has ruled more than once that Shari’a law is “incompatible with the fundamental principles of democracy,” what equal rights would Vox and Salon suggest be imposed first, based on the Qur’an’s clear instructions?
The reason why 1.6 billion Muslims say and do nothing about alleged “extremists” is because the Qu’ran prohibits them from doing so. If they do, the Qur’an instructs that they be killed.
For Salon and Vox to promote Islam as an ideology that offers equality for women, is not only offensive to women, but mocks and devalues the suffering women worldwide endure– solely because of Islam.