Look, i’m not happy with the what many of the leaks coming from the White House have to say about the Trump administration. While much of the teeth gnashing has been trumped up, there is a sense in which we can see that the President doesn’t have his house in order.
However, most of my angst is directed at the mainstream news media that continues to report every Trump-related issues as if it’s the end of the world. My anger gets particularly hot when we compare this breathless coverage with the manner in which similar situations were covered during the Obama era.
Across the conservative Internet, bloggers are digging up numerous examples of the media’s uncaring coverage of Obama era leaks and embarrassments, and the juxtaposition between Obama’s coverage and Trump’s is astounding.
For example, the Daily Wire dug up 5 (or 6) different instances when an Obama leak had much more dire consequences than anything Trump could have told the Russians last week.
1. That time Obama’s CIA director leaked top-secret information about Seal Team 6. “In 2011, former CIA Director Leon Panetta revealed top secret information about the Osama Bin Laden raid,” reports The Federalist.
2. That time an Obama defense official leaked secret information about Israeli military operations against Iran. As Ben Shapiro pointed out, “An anonymous ‘US defense source’ [leaked] to the Times of London that Israel had cut a deal with the Saudis to use their airspace to strike Iran. The deal [was] scuttled.”
3. That time a high-ranking official in Obama’s Joint Chiefs of Staff leaked classified information about cyber attacks against Iran’s nuclear facilities.
4. That time Vice President Joe Biden publicly revealed the highly secret identities of the SEAL Team Six Members behind the Osama Bin Laden assassination operation. The leaks directly endangered the lives of the SEAL members.
5. All those times the Obama administration leaked classified information about highly dangerous Israeli military operations in Syria. Shapiro notes that on at least two occasions, the Obama administration revealed classified about defensive and counter-offensive Israeli military strikes against Assad.
Breitbart also had a similar list, only this one focused on the MANY, REPEATED times that the Obama administration leaked classified information from Israel. “It may be instructive to recall that the Obama administration was repeatedly accused of deliberately leaking Israeli military secrets that may have damaged Israel’s defense capabilities,” Breitbart then goes on to chronicle several instances where Israel was compromised by the leaks springing forth from the Obama administration. After one such leak, Israeli officials were irate with the Obama team with the Times of Israel reporting,
Israel’s Channel 10 TV on Friday night quoted Israeli officials branding the American leak as “scandalous.” For Israel’s ally to be acting in this way was “unthinkable,” the officials were quoted as saying.
A second TV report, on Israel’s Channel 2, said the leak “came directly from the White House,” and noted that “this is not the first time” that the administration has compromised Israel by leaking information on such Israeli Air Force raids on Syrian targets.
These many leaks occurred without the media firestorm that has taken place over President Trump’s supposed comments warning Russia about a new tactic being used by terrorists. Comments that both the Secretary of State and the National Security Advisor have said were completely acceptable and not out of the ordinary at all.
It reminds me of another moment that the media couldn’t find any reason to be upset about. While the media whines and moans about Trump possibly being beholden to Russia, they completely ignored that one time an American president promised to do whatever the Russians wanted if they would just wait until after he was reelected…