“It is universally admitted that a well-instructed people alone can be a permanently free people.”
— President James Madison, Message to Congress, Dec. 5, 1810.
How well will you score on the Freedom Quiz Survey?
What is the most important concept for Americans to understand about their freedom?
“The American People have lost the power to govern themselves because they do not have the knowledge to do so. Self-governance is freedom and our freedom is slipping away because the people no longer understand how freedom was obtained.
“Our educational systems have generally failed when it comes to teaching the principles of American government. Instead of learning self-government, generations have learned that government and professional politicians will do things for us that used to be considered personal responsibility. But Christians must instead look in the mirror. In many cases our churches have failed in the same way. Instead of equipping the people in the pews to do the good works for which we were created, many churches have taught people to let professional Christians do what every Christian should be doing for themselves.”
He adds that, “timeless truths about knowledge are found in the Bible.” They include:
- My people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge (Hosea 4:6).
- Receive My instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold (Pr 8:10).
- Wise men lay up knowledge but the mouth of the fool is near destruction (Pr 10:14).
- …through knowledge shall the just be delivered (Pr 11:9).
- The lips of the wise disperse knowledge (Pr 15:7).
- …the lips of knowledge are a precious jewel (Pr 20:15).
- …by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches (Pr 24:4).
- … a man of knowledge increases strength (Pr. 24:5).
- Because of the transgression of a land, many are its princes; but by a man of understanding and knowledge right will be prolonged (Pr 28:2).
And Christians can be equipped to learn more about their responsibility as citizens. He points to two key verses in the New Testament:
“And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service…” (Eph. 4:11-12).
“For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk… ” (Heb. 5:12).”
Sherman argues that “freedom is being destroyed for a lack of knowledge.” And as a pastor and leader in his community, he is first encouraging Christians to learn “the elementary principles of citizenship,” rooted in their faith. Otherwise, as citizens they are guaranteed to lose their freedom.
Former Republican presidential candidate Governor Mike Huckabee agrees– and encourages every citizen, especially Christians, to take this first step in reclaiming the truths of America’s founding. He says, “Brad Sherman shared his Knowledge Is Power Project strategy with me and… If you are looking for a way to take action and make a difference in the fight to restore the foundations of freedom in America, this deserves your consideration.”
Take the Freedom Quiz and find out how well you know American principles and the U.S. Constitution.